Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Lost in Time




San Juan Batista.

I spent a leisurely afternoon in San Juan Batista with my son Jon
and my brother Tony. I love going there. Today’s excuse was that Tony is visiting from Florida. It’s always fun to see California’s beauty through the eyes of someone seeing it for the first time. We natives need a visitor to reintroduce us to the natural beauty that surrounds us. It’s so easy to become numb to it all.

San Juan Batista is a town that time passed by leaving it frozen in the late 1800s. Like Vesuvius did to Pompeii the railroad did to San Juan. With a simple twist of fate the railroad located in nearby Hollister and civilization passed San Juan by. Thank goodness for that decision as it has perserved all its old world charm for us to enjoy.

Every time I visit, and that’s often, I get an overwhelming sense of calm. It’s almost as though I lived there in a different life. The mission church has been functioning for over 200 years. Roaming the grounds it’s easy to get lost in a time warp and imagine life in the 1800s as it was with the Californians, known as the new aristocrats. Think Antonio Banderas and Catherine Zeta-Jones.

Richard Treadway

No comments:

Post a Comment